Thursday, October 7, 2010

Project - The Beginning

Specifications

Make: Puch
Model: Maxi
Speed: 1.5hp e50
Color: Red w/ Gray Sidecovers and Fenders
Gearing:14/40
Carb: Stock 12mm Bing 1/12/314 (actually a 2hp Newport carb) with matching intake.
Pipe: Proma Circuit

Known Issues

Horn doesn't work
Wiring falling apart at block (brake lights don't work, only tail light)
Air leak at carb - intake joint
Front Brake - non-existant
Rear Brake - Terrible
Rusty Gas Tank
Speedo - Broken


This is a striaght up Maxi (not an S, Newport, etc.)  I bought it from a local guy who I have bought most of my mopeds from.  Nice guy, always have sold me reliable mopeds.  I've always wanted a Puch.  I've only owned Tomos's up until I bought this one.  It came with a Proma Circuit pipe on it.  I'm not too sure how nasty it is inside.  It runs 30 mph.  Ran 32 after I bought a hi-flo air filter from Treats.  I think it should be able to climb hills like a billy goat with said gearing, however, it does not do that well on hills.  I'd say average.

Tires are wheels are in good shape.  I love the color and the paint is in great shape.  However I felt the need to tear this bike apart and re-do it.  I want to repalce everything I can on it that's rusty or in bad shape. 

Here are some pictures of what the bike looks like now (side covers off and stock airbox on).







Next step will be to disassemble and de-rust the gas tank.  Then seal it.  Once that is done, it will be time to sand, prime, and paint this thing.  I was thinking, rustolem sky blue for the frame and white for the fenders (and maybe forks).

I was going to white out a lot of other things on the bike once the frame is painted.

White pedals, seat, low handlebars, mirrors, fuel filter, grips, wire housing, shocks, spark plug book and wire, and a white chain (I didn't know they made white chains).  I was thinking I'd leave the spokes instead of switching to a white 5 star or sno-flake rim. 

It's going to be pricey, but I think it will come out pretty sweet.  Not sure if I should take off the maxi decal on the tank or leave it.  I am going to play with the color combo's in photoshop, etc. before I make my final decision.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment